We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Once the baby is born and breastfeeding is established, milk production It is achieved with the stimulation of the mother's nipple by her son. This simple action sets off a cascade of hormones that make breastfeeding possible.
However, something that worries mothers too often is the feeling that we are not producing enough milk, something that is often totally subjective, it is still a sensation (as can happen in the so-called 'growth crisis').
In our site we give you tricks to increase milk during breastfeeding.
Since the beginning of humanity, or almost, have been used in different cultures herbs whose properties, supposedly, were that of increase the production of breast milk; is what we know as galactogogues.
Most of these substances have not been scientifically evaluated, so their actual effectiveness is unknown. In addition, many of the infusions used to increase the production of milk in the mother are contraindicated during pregnancy and lactationEither because they pass into the milk (and consequently the baby, which may cause some harmful effect) or because far from achieving the desired result, what they do is reduce milk production.
These grandmother's remedies, they are not all as safe as they seem, or its effect is unwanted. Let's analyze the most used:
- Fenugreek: it is a plant of the pea family, it is assumed that milk production begins 48 hours after starting to consume infusions made with the leaves. It is rated as quite safe by e-lactancia.org (risk 1)
- Milk Thistle or Cardo de Santa María and Goat's Rue: It is usually consumed in infusion or tablets. Risk 0 according to e-lactancia.org
- Anise: in the form of dried seeds. Considered unsafe by the e-lactancia.org website (risk 2), it can produce the opposite effect and decrease milk production.
- Alfalfa: Considered unsafe by the e-lactancia.org website (risk 2)
- Fennel: The fruits of the grass are used. Considered unsafe by e-lactancia.org (risk 2) and that it can decrease milk production.
- Cumin: It seems to be contraindicated during pregnancy and lactation. Unknown risk level.
- Chasteberry: Ripe fruits are used. ATTENTION risk 3, totally contraindicated during lactation. Decreases milk production
- Beer, brewer's yeast and barley derivatives: There is no risk to breastfeeding and it could increase milk production due to an existing polysaccharide.
On the other hand we have the medicinesThere are some that as a side effect involve an increase in prolactin production, such as domperidone and methochlorpamide. Others that are also used are sulpiride and chlorpromazine.
These drugs they are much more effective than medicinal plants, and its effectiveness has been proven in numerous studies. Its prescription must be carried out by a doctor, always after evaluation and correction of all possible treatable causes of insufficient milk. Medical monitoring is necessary, monitoring possible side effects
Before using a galactagogue, it is necessary to address the questions related to the evaluation, correction of some modifiable factor such as the frequency and meticulousness of breast emptying. Medication should never replace evaluation and advice on modifiable factors (Always consult the midwife for advice). As with others medicines Used by women who are breastfeeding, it is necessary to carefully monitor both the mother and the baby.
You can read more articles similar to Tricks to increase milk production in lactation, in the category of On-site breastfeeding.